Death, life and trauma



I just read the number-two-most emailed article in the New York Times, “The Trauma of Being Alive,” by psychiatrist Mark Epstein. He argues that grief and trauma are real and enduring, and we do ourselves a disservice by suppressing our emotions. In his words: 

“In resisting trauma and in defending ourselves from feeling its full impact, we deprive ourselves of its truth. As a therapist, I can testify to how difficult it can be to acknowledge one’s distress and to admit one’s vulnerability. My mother’s knee-jerk reaction, ‘Shouldn’t I be over this by now?’ is very common. There is a rush to normal in many of us that closes us off, not only to the depth of our own suffering but also, as a consequence, to the suffering of others.”  

His words are a relief, a sort of balm in themselves, offering the soothing reassurance that it’s ok to not be ok. The trauma of John’s sudden death, followed a year later by Ali’s sudden death, followed lately by the shock of breast cancer, has shaken my sense of security and my sense of self. I resist the PTSD label and remain outwardly blase about risk in general, but the truth is I harbor an insidious conviction that more disaster awaits me.

At the same time, I'm leery of psychiatrists and their ilk, who tend to pathologize everything and everyone (job security, right?). When I check my young widow websites and the breast cancer sites there is so much “woe is me,” so much lament and self-absorption. Usually it brings me down, so I’ve learned to avoid them unless I have a specific question. I’m impressed that strangers offer each other heartfelt compassion and support on these sites, but I wonder how productive it is. People many years out from their trauma seem mired in their own suffering.  

Epstein tells us we do better if we “lean into the trauma,” but gives no real evidence for this. And what does “leaning into trauma” mean, exactly? More crying? More therapy? Neither of those seems to help me as much as running, laughing, and friendship do.

 “Fake it til you make it” is an alternative strategy, the stoic approach. It has its downsides—obviously, you can’t live a lie—but if you lean into optimism, aren’t you more likely to fall into the positive side?  

I don’t know the answers. As facebook would say, “It’s complicated.”

On a lighter note, my head is now lighter. Santino buzzed my hair off yesterday. My stubble-riddled bright-white scalp is one ugly sight. And it’s not one you will be seeing pictures of any time soon!

With thanks for your love and support,
Becca

Comments

  1. Just want you to know I'm reading, Bec. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even your elementary school friends got the Becca blog bug...thank you so much for sharing. And I have one for you: This is my mom's story :) http://www.dana-farber.org/Adult-Care/Treatment-and-Support/Patient-Stories/Judie-Ham---Never-say-never.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that, Beth. Your mom is pretty amazing. No doubt it's been a wild ride for you too. WOW. Can you believe my daughter has just moved into my old bedroom... I never went to Ottoson though so she's plowing new ground there!
      I hope you're well and thanks again for reaching out. Becca

      Delete
  3. So wonderful to hear your thoughts, Becca! Sending you love! xo Lilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beca,

    I'm reading too and thinking of you. Whether you are living in Juneau or not, you will always be a part of Juneau to me.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Darling Becca: You do not have to reply. I am a fellow survivor, as you are right now, but just do not know it!!! Yes, 10 years ago, I had a 5cm tumor in left breast, chemo, surgery, radiation. I had treatment and my doctors are at Emory in Atlanta. I have an inherited gene....so no after treatment, I have metastatic breast cancer - in remission!!! A gift from my grandmother, her five sisters, my mother's older sister and of course, my mother! I think you are about the smartest woman I have ever... "read"!!!! Seriously, never give up, stay in the battle until you are healed; and you will be! I have many friends that are breast cancer survivors and we are are always thinking of our fellow sisters in the battle. You stay strong now... and I know it is not popular, but I prayed. Love, your sister in battle, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen -- you are so kind. I've met so many cancer widows and seen so much cancer death the past few years that it's hard sometimes to envision a long-term future. Thank you for reaching out and encouraging me. With gratitude, Becca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When the fix is ... nonexistent

We Are All Toddler Parents

Cravings: A Cautionary Tale