Falling shoes



Cancer and cancer treatment somehow failed to make a real impression on me; assuming the cancer didn’t kill me, I figured after treatment I would return to my normal level of physical function and ability.

But with last month’s hospitalizations, I experienced the new and unsettling reality of a possibly chronic condition affecting my ability to inhale, along with everything that requires a good solid breath of air. I felt vulnerable and disheartened, unsure of my recovery, overwhelmed by blood draws, recurring symptoms, and the accompanying pharmaceutical armada that arrived.

Last Thursday, as I started the third week of my tapering dose of corticosteroids, the now-familiar chest pain returned. At radiation I asked the staff to take my vitals and sure enough, my blood pressure was down and my heart rate was up: pericarditis symptoms were back. By Friday I had taken another spin through the ER, which is a pretty handy one-stop shop when you need a quick echocardiogram, chest X-ray, blood draw and EKG. As I hoped, I didn’t need to be admitted, but as I feared, my steroid dose was nearly tripled. We’ll try again to taper.

It’s a good thing Joy and Leah visited over the weekend to pull me out of my dejected state. They hauled a stash of halibut from Debbie and Ben (I think we have enough food now!), dragged us on a long-overdue Costco mission, got up early with Alder, and made us smile.

Monday I donned my fuzzy pink robe and strode past the CAUTION HIGH RADIATION AREA sign one last time. I completed my dose of 6,000 rads or centiGray to the previously cancerous area, rang the bell and hugged Anthony and Dane (Tianna, the third tech, wasn’t there). Despite my sketchy feelings about the treatment, I feel genuine warmth for the staff at my radiation center, especially the three techs, two of whom have Alaska connections. (I never tired of teasing Anthony about growing up in Wasilla.) They welcomed each patient like a friend dropping in for coffee each day, played eclectic music, smiled warmly and bantered readily.  

On Tuesday I met with my new internist, Bob. Bob said all the right things to me, starting with: “You will absolutely come back. … This is not your new reality.”

He pointed out that I finished radiation. My immune system will come back. I’m getting stronger. “All you have to do is relax, believe, hydrate, walk, rest extra, and know that next month will be better.”

He knew a little of my history and I gave him a ClifNotes version of the rest. He said: “You’re wondering, ‘When’s the other shoe gonna fall?’ The shoes have all fallen.”

Not being God, he has no real authority to say it, but I needed to hear it. I need to believe it. The shoes have all fallen.

“Psyche and soma go together,” Bob said. “Believe in yourself.”

I don’t think I realized just how far that belief had fallen until he said those words. I had not taken a walk, much less run, in five-plus weeks. Granted, I was bedridden and attached to an IV pole for much of February. But when I wasn’t, I was felled by fatigue and fear – fear of pain, fear of my body, fear of drugs, fear of blood draws, fear of a compromised future. I stopped racing Alder down the street from the bus stop. I stopped walking to Swedish from the ferry. I moved slowly and carefully, wary of triggering some unknown enemy within.  

Bob’s role was somewhere between cheerleader and diety – with the authority of an MD – telling me to get over it.

I walked out of our appointment down to the ferry, smiling up at the sun, ready to believe. Yesterday I walked and explored from our new townhouse and discovered a small beach ten minutes away. Mt. Rainier was visible in the distance, a shimmering reminder of last summer’s camping trip and adventures to come.

I think I’m ready to find a balance between the frenetic effort to recover immediately (January) and disassociated hopelessness (February). It is March, and the shoes have all fallen. Psyche and soma, mind and body, go together. It is time to strap on the shoes and walk. It is time to begin healing.

Halibut curry, pad Thai, jigsaw puzzle and friends = good times.
Anthony and Dane, purveyors of external-beam radiation via linear accelerator. Aka radiation techs and nice guys.

Alder's new approach to monkey bars.

Meanwhile, Rosie drums with my parents' neighbors, part of our extended village on the east coast.

Fennel-orange salad inspired by Full Circle Farm gift delivery. Chop fennel bulb, orange segments and onion; add olive oil, rice vinegar, salt and pepper (best if dressing is mixed first).
Sunny walk smile.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. My husband Norm beat lung cancer in 2004 he went through radiation and Chemo and coughed the tumor upand I flushed it down the toilet ! then in May of 2013 he was diagnoised with COPD and on August 23rd he died in our kitchen the EMT's came and got his heart beating again he was taken to the hospital and his temp was taken down and slowly brought back up when he opened his eyes on the 25th of August there was nothing there. The hardest day of my life was August 26th when I hjad to say goodbye to him I couldn't let him live like a vegetable I loved him too much for that we had known each other since 1988 and were married in 1993. We lived tived together a year before we were married and last May we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary!!!!! it was all so sudden we were told the cancer had come back . Living without him is soo hard I honestly don't know what gets me through the days and the nights are worse. What shoe will fall next?

      Delete
    2. Hi Crankieangel (Lisa?) ... Thanks for writing. I'm so sorry for your loss. Learning my husband had died while out for a routine run was devastating but I remember a small voice telling me it was perhaps better than the agony of having to "pull the plug."

      Delete
  2. So glad you're doing better emotionally, That million-dollar smile doesn't lie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! The sun helps too... you were smart to pick CA :)

      Delete
  3. You are beautiful and I love you all the way from Bethel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! I hope everything's going well in Bethel. Miss seeing you. xo

      Delete
  4. Thinking of you, as always, Bec.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You too, Sarah. I hope the shoes have all fallen for you too... Believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get enough of your wonderful writing! Sending love from the Parker Road drummers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the love and the drumming!

      Delete
  7. Thanks it really was the worst day of my life . I cry/scream myself to sleep most nights and have no clue what gets me through the days. I still hear his voice in my head I hope I always will I miss him soo much. I do write to him in a journal and it makes me feel alittle better. But other than that all I have to keep me busy is clean the house and play on the computer and look after my 1year old siberian husky that was Norm's last Christmas present to me!!!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becca? Can you please help me get into the groups you mentioned on Facebook. This has been a really tough week and my 19yr old was told not to do ANYTHING after having 6 teeth removed so she doesn't help me at all. Yes I understand she is in pain but I can't do everything myself!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cry everyday cause I miss Norm so much. I know he wouldn't put up with what I'm putting up with now!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks so much
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa--can you send me a message on facebook or let me know your last name so i can try to find you on facebook. Then I can help!

      Delete
    2. I sent a message to you on facebook but I think it went to your "other" folder. Look for it...

      Delete
  9. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post. https://juicewrldmerch.net/juice-wrld-x-vlone-cosmic-hoodie-black/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. corporate gifts singapore

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remarkable article, it is particularly useful! I quietly began in this, and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Delights, keep doing more and extra impressive! harry potter shop

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When the fix is ... nonexistent

We Are All Toddler Parents

Cravings: A Cautionary Tale