Dead Man's Brew

Among the things I found after John died were 24 cans of Rainier beer in an outside pocket of his hockey bag. Yes, it was a massive bag – a goalie bag, though John didn’t play goal. 

I got rid of most of his stuff pretty efficiently when he died, some of it with unabashed glee. The boxes of old magazines he carted through each move, fraying 1986 copies of Mother Jones and Utne Reader he was always going to get to. I brought 17 boxes to paper recycling. I doled skis and jackets to friends and family. I gave away his skates. But something stopped me from giving away the hockey bag, and I’m pretty sure it was the beer. 

It’s a bit ironic given that I don’t even drink beer. I think I realized that case of beer stuffed in his hockey bag and smuggled into the rink was quintessential John. He was never one to travel light, a habit that continually irked me. But who was the hero at Happy Camp, three days into a Chilkoot Trail backpack trip, when he pulled out a complete copy of the Sunday New York Times? Who was the hero when he pulled tennis balls out of his pockets and clown suits out of a vintage briefcase he hauled around and ice skates for all out of seemingly nowhere? He always had the toys, the gear, the magic. 

I had to concede the brilliance of his movable hoarding. Maybe that’s why I held onto the beer. Or maybe I realized that at some point I’d need it for beer-battered halibut or an undiscriminating guest. Whatever the reason, I left the beer and the stinking hockey bag in the basement. And sure enough, when a month or so later I needed a beer while cooking, I ran down and grabbed a can, thanking John for his foresight. 

People often assume holidays are the hardest, or milestones like birthdays and anniversaries. Sometimes that’s true. But more often, it’s the small things, things no one else would notice or understand, that make your breath catch. When one day, a year or two after he died, I grabbed the last beer, when I felt around the gaping pouch and found no more cold smooth cans, my fingers scratched the finality of death. How to explain that the anniversary of his death passed dry-eyed, but I wept in a dark basement over an empty pocket of a black canvas hockey bag? 

A few weeks later as I pushed my cart through Costco, something steered me into the alcohol section. I had to ask where the Rainier was. When I got home, I carried the case into the basement, retrieved the hockey bag, and loaded 24 beers into that pocket, one by one. “Don’t laugh,” I said to no one as I laughed. I told myself it was just the practical, logical place for them – it had become a habit to look there for beer. But how to explain the small comfort, the thin slice of joy this little joke with myself brought? Putting beer in a dead man’s hockey bag was a quiet, private act of guerilla warfare. I staked a small claim to absurdity, claimed my own definitions of grief and memory. 

About six months after John died, Rosie came into my room one night panic-stricken. “I don’t remember Daddy!” she screamed. “I forget what he looked like! Mommy, I’m forgetting him!” Whereas the night of his death she was quiet, dumbfounded, this second loss overcame her as a tidal wave of grief. She sobbed, inconsolable, terrorized by absence, the slipperiness of memory. 

We lose the dead over and over. The Rainer runs out, stories become warped and wizened until we wonder what was real. Memories become wispy and disconnected, like the last phrases of a dying language. Time moves us toward healing, but it distances us from the living breathing realness of the person. It can feel like a zero-sum game: we are mired in tragedy or we forget. And forgetting is its own tragedy. 

A few years ago I fumigated the hockey bag and brought it to Second Wind Sports. I haven’t made beer-battered halibut in a long time, and anyone who wants beer knows to bring it with them. I hope whoever got the bag still uses it. I don’t mind that they probably don’t know the freight it carried. Life is ephemeral. Eventually we reach a détente, a workable compromise between carrying the weight of the past and traveling light. 

This post is dedicated to a friend suffering incalculable, acute grief. Wishing you a path to peace. 


We revitalized the garden at Caouette Cabin

New Hampshire - dogs, docks and scooters, oh my!

The pandemic made a chef of my mom

But nothing beats White Castle after midnight.

Benjamin Island evening

Bro and sis💕



Comments

  1. Oh, my goodness, Becca. I thought Rosie was you!

    I love that you made that little accident into a process that kept memory alive in a comforting way. I have to think he would have liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of putting it. And thanks for mistaking Rosie for me, I find that much more flattering than she does, ha ha!

      Delete
  2. I love stumbling upon your beautiful and thoughtful writing. It always is a blessing if some sort and I thank you for sharing. Our brief encounter of knowing one another had left your writing as a long lasting gift. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and now I'm curious who you are!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant writing and homage to quirks, self-awareness and beer. Thank you for sharing your awesome reflections with your friends on tangential journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! Thanks for taking us on tangential journeys in northern Minnesota :)

      Delete
  4. The most beautiful writing I’ve read in a very long time. I hope your piece helps many other on the long road of healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Becca. Thanks for sharing your process with such eloquence and authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moved to tears. Sadness, connecting with your grief and unrelated grief of my own. Rosie's experience and thinking of my own father lost many years ago. And tears that come with the relieved laughter of humor after sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this, so real, sweet, sad, funny, complicated. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right on. Great piece. Write on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Becca. Kind of like an Irish wake; crying one moment and then laughing hysterically a moment later. Alcohol is often involved. John seemed nonplussed about everything. He refused to lock up his bike, a single speed, white painted job. I knew the bike and found it on three separate occasions, after it was stolen. I thought surely John would lock the bike after the first time it was stolen, but that was not John's way. I plan to drink an Amber on a Zoom call with my bros tonight, in John's memory. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who you are but that is HILARIOUS. He was just kind of lazy about it! He lost everything! That bike always had a way of coming back - and now I know it was you, thank you!

      Delete
  10. Beautifully written Becca. We keep so much stored inside ourselves, I can't get mine written down so eloquently as you do Becca but it makes for comparison that I understand so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grief is cyclical for sure! The tiny moments for me are always the hardest! Thanks so much for sharing! That way...John lives on! I'm getting to know him through your words! Thanks friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When the fix is ... nonexistent

We Are All Toddler Parents

Cravings: A Cautionary Tale